Thursday, August 13, 2015

We’ve Got This!




This summer at DENSI15 I helped mark out the uphill route for the 3k run at 11pm. Did I mention it was uphill? Most of the way? Did I mention I wanted to die? Do not worry; I kept most of the complaints to myself. At some point probably halfway through I mentioned to Alison, the official marker, that I did not think I would make it. She turned to me and said with a smile on her face, “We’ve got this.” Obviously she was right. “We’ve got this.” We finished marking the course. She encouraged me when I needed to hear it.

Similarly the gym can be difficult because Jessica works us hard in her Body Blast class, an aerobic circuit class. On the inside I feel like I am dying, and I complain…loudly. On the outside I focus, pay attention, and breathe deeply. At times doing the same exercise for 40 seconds can feel like a lifetime. However, it is difficult to be pessimistic, because Jessica encourages us along the way with shouts of:  “You can do it!” “Halfway there.” “10 more seconds.” “5 more seconds.” Jessica believes in us, and it helps me believe in myself.

Our last circuit is timed with the goal of beating our own time. Yes, we hear others times, but it does not matter. Our time is our standard. Some of the exercises are a little tricky, and boy do we make faces. One time I realized that we need to cheer each other on. We are all on the same journey. Why not support one another? As we run our circuits, we cheer each other on. We can do it; we’ve got this.

As I begin the school year, I am taking what I learned about exercise and am applying it to life.

  1. We’ve got this. Together we can do it. 
  2. Cheer others on. We are on similar journeys and many people are fighting hidden battles. Your encouragement may be exactly what someone needs to hear.
  3. Be your own cheerleader. You’ve got this.


No comments:

Post a Comment