Monday, August 3, 2015

DENSI15 Reflection

I had the amazing opportunity to attend the Discovery Educator Network Summer Institute 2015 (DENSI15). I learned more life lessons than I expected in addition to teaching strategies. Below is what I learned and what I pledge to do.


1.  Having fun is important. In the dictionary under “Type A personality,” you will see my picture. While at DENSI15 I tried new things (DENmazing race, costume party, and marking the 5K race route), found myself successful, and laughed out loud. I pledge to bring my fun with me. 


2.   Building a community is vital to success. One thing I have always done in my class with varying degrees of success is build a community. There is more buy-in for learning in a community setting. I found myself a new tribe this summer. While I miss them now, I know that we will continue to support one another throughout the coming years. I was also reminded of the community of teachers I currently teach with. I pledge to cultivate community with my colleagues and with my students. 


3.  Learning should be fun. I dislike irrelevant and boring professional development. My students feel the same way about “boring” classes or content. Much of the 21st century content is the same, but there are many different strategies to try. If I am bored or not engaged, I know my students will be too. I pledge to use more Spotlight on Strategies to engage students and enhance learning.


4.  Allow students multiple options for showing mastery. As a Language Arts teacher, I assign and assess student writing. However, we must engage students and value their out of school skills. Students can demonstrate their mastery of a concept utilizing videos, presentations, and other methods. I pledge to let students use videos to show mastery of at least one concept.

Vine Videos

5.  A thankful heart is a must. Life is hard, but there are so many things to be thankful for. Because of DENSI15 I am thankful for my tribe, my renewed enthusiasm for learning and teaching, and the opportunity to overcome obstacles. I pledge to thank God for at least three things every day.






No comments:

Post a Comment