Thursday, September 3, 2015

Unfriend Facebook


While I enjoy your family
pictures,
little tikes
smiling, laughing, playing,
riding a bike,
asleep during nap time,
first day of school pictures,
loving life,
I am reminded
of my children
whose lives will never be.

As I focus on your life and its blessings,
I lose sight of my loving, adoring husband
who daily gives me the moon and stars,
holds my hand, comforts
me, makes me laugh and forget
my serious face, plans road trips,
and selflessly devotes himself to me.

I forget about the 101 Dalmatians
who drive me crazy, love me unconditionally,
shower me with puppy kisses
and dog hair, take to me to dog parks
and on walks, introduce me to new friends,
and entertain me with their antics.
Cinder’s spunky, happy self
and Ember’s loyalty
get lost in my discontent.

When I post I wonder how many friends
will like, comment on, or share
my thoughts, my life, or me.
Suddenly I am back in high
school striving to be popular
and perfect enough for people
to like me,
really, really like me.
Did I share just the right amount?
Will they crown me
Prom Queen?  
How long will I rule?  

I have 174 friends.  
Surely we are great friends
and we communicate frequently by sending
notes in the mail just to say hi, texting or calling
to find out about each other’s day, meeting
for lunch or dinner, or stopping
by just to chat.

No, instead we just post our news,
our lives,
our drama,
our food,
our whatever,
and assume everyone informed themselves.

You and Facebook
are friends. Are you sure
you want to unfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment